On behalf of a biotech Company active on micro-algae fermentation technology, Processium designed and developed a separation and purification process for a molecule of interest dedicated to nutraceutical markets.
This process shall be sufficient to meet very strict purity specifications (purity>99%) while minimizing CAPEX and OPEX.
The technical challenges of this project were:
- The targeted molecule is in intra cellular into the micro-algae.
- Thermal sensitivity of the targeted molecule.
- Specific behavior of micro-algae during collecting: high viscosity of concentrated micro-algae.
Processium carried out this study starting from the definition of project specifications to the design corresponding process:
- Definition of specifications.
- Full study of technological solutions for the different steps of the process:
- Collection of micro-algae.
- Biomass drying process.
- Micro-algae cells lysis.
- Purification of the product of interest.
- Two processes complying with the above specifications and not covered by a patent were selected.
- Designed of two industrial processes and comparative economic study.
T0: Our team starts working on the project.
T0 + 4 months: Design of two processes that our client used as reference for the industrialization of the final process.
T0 + 5 months: Issue sizing and cost estimating of processes for the selection of the final process.
T0 + 9 months: Validation of the selected process in our labs.