Our client need to replace its solvents in his coating formulation due to legislative changes. The alternative solvents have to keep the same physico-chemical properties of the formulation, or even is feasible to improve them in order to keep a competitive advantage on the market.
The project deals with many technical challenges:
- Prediction of physico-chemicals properties on a mixture of solvent rather than on pure solvent.
- Take into account interaction between solvents and polymers
- Definition of solvent key properties in the final mixture.
For the research of alternative solvents mixtures, Processium has:
- Characterized the client products: our expertise in modelling ensures a reliable prediction of key properties for the different solvents (viscosity, evaporation rate…)
- Defined the specifications of the new solvent mixture (performance at least equal to the initial solvent mixture, final mixture cost, key properties for applications,…)
- Selected a list of potential alternative solvents thanks to a statistical approach
- Validated experimentally properties of these alternative solvents
Characterized the performances of the new paint formulations (resistance, brightness, elasticity, adherence…)
Replacement of solvent in the formulation allows to:
- Replace solvents by less toxic one
- Optimise the formulation to keep the industrial process equipement
- Increase the performance of the final product